Absence, they say, makes the heart grow fonder and if our mail-box is any indication our readership has indeed grown fonder of Bhabhi’s Corner! This is exciting for us and we present with the utmost joy, our first column for 2023, featuring a selection of light vegan recipes, courtesy of Videhi Sivurusan and we are sure that you are going to enjoy adding these recipes to those already mastered. Videhi told Bhabhi’s Corner, “I have a treasure trove of delicious and EASY to follow vegan recipes for your readers on my website www.videhi.co.za. Bhabhi’s Corner readers can also subscribe to my Youtube channel ‘Veganise with Videhi’. I am also available on Facebook and Tiktok as Videhi Sivurusan, ‘Videhi Making Veggie Days Happy Days.’ ” We don’t know how much, stock you put into New Year’s Resolutions and the like, but Bhabi’s Corner wishes you all a terrific and inspiring 2023. Happy cooking!!
Creamy Chickpea Curry
- 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 1⁄4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig tender curry leaves roughly torn in half
- 1 small onion finely diced (1⁄2 cup (125ml)
- 1⁄4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 star anise
- 1 piece cinnamon stick (5cm)
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped garlic
- 3 green chillies slit in the centre
- 1 tbsp (15ml) mixed masala
- 1 tsp (5ml) garam masala
- 1/3 cup (80ml) tomato puree
- 1 can chickpeas (rinsed & drained)
- 1⁄2 tsp salt (adjust according to taste preference)
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut cream
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coriander leaves (roughly chopped)
- Sliced lemon to serve
This is how:
- Heat oil in pot
- Add mustard seeds and curry leaves
- Once seeds have popped and leaves have splattered, add onion, cumin seeds, star anise and the cinnamon stick – cook until onions are golden brown – 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and chillies fry for a few seconds
- Toss in mixed masala and garam masala. Give it a quick mix
- Add in the tomato puree and salt – cook for a few minutes then throw in the chickpeas – give it a good stir.
- Pour in the coconut milk – Give it another good stir. Bring to boil and then lower heat and simmer for a few minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- This meal is best served with rice, rotis or naan
Creamy Mushroom & Spinach Tagliatelle (Vegan)
- 250g tagliatelle nests
- A glug of olive oil
- Salt to season
- 1 large onion finely chopped.
- 1-2 dry red chilies – roughly torn into pieces
- 1 tbsp (15ml) freshly chopped garlic
- 250g white button mushrooms wiped clean with a cloth and sliced
- 200g fresh spinach leaves washed & sliced
- 1 can coconut cream (full cream)
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- Few grinds of fresh black pepper
- Freshly chopped garlic in olive oil to serve (optional)
- Freshly chopped jalapeños in olive oil to serve (optional)
This is how:
- Boil pasta as per instructions on the pack – when done, keep aside.
- Heat oil in a big pan
- Toss in the onions and cook until soft and translucent
- Add the dry chillies and garlic, then sauté for a few seconds, then add mushrooms and season with salt.
- Give this a good mix and cook until the mushrooms are thoroughly cooked – 10/15 minutes.
- Throw in the spinach – cook for a few minutes. ·Pour in the coconut cream
- Spoon in the nutritional yeast and allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- Option 1 – you can add the cooked pasta to the sauce.
- Option 2 – place the pasta into a bowl, then spoon on sauce.
- Buon appetito!
Kheer Flavoured Chia Pudding
- 6 Tbsp (90ml) chia seeds
- 2 cups soy milk (unsweetened)
- 1⁄2 tsp cardamom powder
- 2-4 tsp (10ml) maple flavoured syrup
- Cashew nuts, Pomegranate seeds
This is how:
- Mix the chia seeds and milk together in a big jug or bowl.
- Place in the fridge or a cool place.
- For the first hour stir the mixture every now and then to prevent the seeds from clumping together. If this happens just use the back end of your spoon and press it out.
- When the seeds have absorbed all the liquid, it is ready.
- You may serve this warm or cold.
- Heat in a microwave for a minute, for a warm pudding.
- Add the cardamom powder and syrup and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into serving glasses or bowls.
- Top with fruits and nuts. Best served with ripe bananas as well.
Household tips & hints
- Add a pinch of sugar to dishes containing tomato, to counter the acidity of the tomatoes.
- For a sore throat, boil one cup of water and add 2 tsp of honey & 1 tsp of fresh lemon juice. Drink this to sooth your throat.
- To keep bread from molding, place a clean, dry paper towel under the bread in its original bag when storing it, to prevent or delay mold.
- To mend small holes in walls, dab a small amount of white paste (non-gel) toothpaste into the hole.
- To protect walls from cracks, before you drive a nail into the wall, place a piece of tape ?over the spot to prevent the paint from cracking.
- To remove black scuff marks, rub them with lemon juice or rubbing alcohol.
Food for thought
“Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody is going to know whether you did or not.”– Reader
Every adversity, every failure, every heartache carries with it the seed of an equal or greater benefit.– Reader