Residents of Laudium, continue to complain of poor service delivery by the ANC controlled Tshwane Council, saying that the Council’s neglect in properly servicing the area is directly resulting in Laudium degenerating into a slum.
Residents say that the ANC continues to mislead the community each time during elections, making promises that they soon thereafter fail to honour. Some of the promises made by the ANC, which have not yet materialised, include having a dedicated Metro Police vehicle in each ward on a 24 hour basis so that by-laws are effectively enforced, moving residents from the nearby informal settlement of Itireleng to another area, so that they could live in a safe and healthy environment, where housing, water and sewerage connections would be provided, the closing of the back route to Atteridgeville which many criminals use as a quick getaway after attacking residents in Laudium and the building of a new Police Station for Laudium… etc. Residents say that not only is the ANC-led Tshwane Council not keeping up to the many promises they have made during election time, but that they are not even seeing to the basic needs of the community, such as speedily repairing street lights and broken or missing street signs. Even just fixing the main traffic lights outside Laudium on the busy Quagga Road, which have not been working for months, seems to be a mission for the Tshwane Council.

In one of the latest complaints received by the Laudium Sun, residents in the Agra East area, have complained about a missing stop sign at the corner of Agra Street and 40th Avenue, which they say is causing a hazard, as already there have been a number of accidents, on the busy street used as a link between Ext 2 and Quagga Road. The stop sign has been missing for a month now, which some residents claim was removed by officials of the Council on March 18.

Sadiya Thirvathee of Agra Street East, told the Laudium Sun, “I heard that the stop sign at the corner of 40th Avenue and Agra East was removed by the Council. I just cannot understand why, as this certainly was a very wrong decision. The traffic in this area is heavy especially during mornings and in the afternoons as there is a significant number of school transport using this route. In such a busy area, removing a stop sign is not only irresponsible but also very dangerous. This intersection was previously a four-way stop, which helped regulate the flow of traffic and ensured that vehicles moved in an orderly and safe manner. Without the stop sign, there is now confusion among motorists, as not everyone knows who has the right of way. This kind of uncertainty can easily lead to accidents, especially during peak hours when traffic is heavier. There are children being transported daily and the safety of these learners should be a top priority. Removing a key traffic control measure like the stop sign puts both drivers and pedestrians at risk. I do not understand why the Council would remove the stop sign without any prior notice or explanation to the community. Proper communication is important so that people can prepare and understand the changes being made in their neighbourhood. This decision feels sudden and poorly thought out. The Council cannot simply make changes that affect public safety without consulting the people who live in the area. I strongly urge the Council to review their decision and act as soon as possible to re install the stop sign. If there are alternative traffic control measures being considered, they should immediately install these to effectively manage the traffic flow and prevent accidents. The safety of the community should always come first.”

Jaysen Govender, also of Agra Street East, told the Laudium Sun, “When I noticed that the stop sign at the corner of 40th Avenue and Agra East had been removed, I initially thought it might have been stolen. Later, I heard from our neighbours that the Council had actually taken down the stop sign. This is extremely concerning because this intersection is one of the busiest in the area, especially during school hours, when there is a lot of traffic from parents dropping off and collecting children. Removing the stop sign has already caused confusion among drivers, as now it is uncertain who should stop first. Many residents, including myself, use these roads every day and the sudden absence of such an important traffic control measure is making it difficult to navigate safely. The intersection was previously a simple point where vehicles could cross in an orderly fashion, but now it feels chaotic and risky. Without clear instructions, some drivers may assume they have the right of way while others hesitate, which can lead to accidents or near misses. We are the ones who face the consequences of the removal of the stop sign, as we are the ones driving through this area daily and we experience the chaotic impact of these kinds of changes. Simple safety measures like stop signs exist for a reason and removing them without warning or explanation undermines the safety of the community.”

Agra Street East resident, Ameena Shaik, told the Laudium Sun, “I strongly believe that the stop sign should be re-installed as soon as possible. If the Council has a plan for traffic management or alternative solutions, they should communicate clearly with residents beforehand. Transparency and proper planning are essential when making changes that affect public safety. The current situation not only increases the risk of accidents, but also creates stress and frustration for drivers who must constantly stay alert in an area that used to be straightforward to navigate. In short, the Council needs to consider the residents’ daily experience and act responsibly. The stop sign was not just a piece of metal standing on the side of the road; it was a crucial part.”
