President Cyril Ramaphosa has announced that the country will move to adjusted alert level 2 lockdown. The following restrictions will be eased at 00:00;
- All gatherings will now be restricted to 250 people indoors and 500 outdoors.
- Where a venue is too small to accommodate these people, then no more than 50% of the venue capacity can be used.
- The curfew will now be in place from 23:00-04:00
- Non essential establishments must close by 22:00.
- Funerals and cremations will be permitted but with a maximum of 50 people. Night vigils are not allowed
- The sale of alcohol from retail outlets for off-site consumption will be permitted between 10am and 6pm from Monday to Friday.
- Alcohol sales for on-site consumption will be permitted as per license conditions up to 22:00.
- Alcohol consumption remains prohibited in public spaces.
- It remains mandatory for every person to wear a face mask that covers their nose and mouth at all times when in public spaces.
It is a criminal offense not to do so.
- These regulations will be reviewed in 2 weeks.
It was also announced that the government is considering introducing a vaccine passport.